- updated the reCaptcha plugin
- (re-)Enabled the Bad Behavior plugin in an attempt to stop spambots from registering accounts
- Not so much with the tide stemming. Wrote a new AbuseFilter rule, and tweaked
$wgDnsBlacklistUrlssome more. (Should those domains end in a period or not?)
- The AbuseFilter seems to be working at preventing bots from posting junk, but they're still registering accounts in droves. Enabled
$wgEnableDnsBlacklistto try to stem the tide.
- fucking sick of spambots registering accounts and then posting junk, so I
turned on some automatic IP blacklistinginstalled the AbuseFilter extension and grabbed a bunch of filters from Wikipedia. I continue to keep an eye on it
- Updated Semantic MediaWiki extension and tweaked to get it to work
- Spam drive-bys linking to other spammed wikis... added some things to
$wgSpamRegexto try to stop 'em
- Updated MW to 1.17, which broke the Lightbox effect on thumbnails and makes div#previewnote and div#catlinks look weird
November: Been a while, huh? We got a nice little drive-by spamming from a logged-in user, so I made some changes...
- made the reCAPTCHA a little more zealous in deciding who to quiz (don't want to be bugged any more, cause you know you're human? hint: email)
- minor little hack to the News extension (
NewsRenderer.phpL257) to prevent any edits by the drive-by user from showing up in the Recent Changes list on the home page
- installed Extension:Nuke to verify that I got everything, and make any later cleanups easier
- updated MW to 1.15 branch.
- installed Extension:Widgets so we can have teh twittars
#REDIRECT-as-302-redirect; enabled Wikia's CanonicalHref extension so we use
<link rel="canonical" />instead
- Tweaked Skin.php so
$wgUseCategoryBrowserdisplays better (let me know if you see any weirdness with the light blue category box at the bottom of pages)
- MediaWiki upgraded to 1.14 branch. Oops that was a long time between upgrades.
October: Oops I probably did stuff in the last year and didn't write it down.
- #REDIRECT pages now return HTTP 302 codes; Google should like that 
- MediaWiki upgraded to 1.11.0.
- Image thumbnails now use Lightbox to display full images within the page. (howto)
- Updated Google Maps extension
- Changed the little icon next to links to Wikipedia (actually, all Wikimedia projects). It used to be the maroon box-with-arrow, just like all other external links; now it's a mini Wikipedia globe (see?).
- Updated GoogleMaps extension.
- Added shortcuts for linking to Wikipedia ('wp') and Mediawiki.org ('mw').
- Fixed the weekly sitemap creation:
- Redirects are no longer listed, which I think is better from a SEO standpoint.
- The URLs in the sitemaps are actually correct now, which they weren't before cause I'm dumb.
- The namespaces that Semantic MW extension creates aren't included.
- I messed with some last-modified dates to try to get Google to reindex stuff it has old badly-optimized info for.
- Added YouTubeTag extension
- usage: <youtube v="VIDEO-ID">
- Added ArticleComments extension and hacked it into a different monster that makes adding opinions on stuff much easier. (Now <opinions /> needs to be stuck into 1100+ articles...)
- Added Contribution Scores extension. It creates a new special page Special:ContributionScores that shows recent and overall editing statistics for individual users.
- Hacked together EventsSlurper extension (pulls event info out of the Oberlin Events Calendar)
- Added Add Article to Category extension (adds box on category pages to create new article and add to that category)
- Added/modified AIM extension (displays AIM screenname online status)
- Usage: <aim>screenname</aim>
- Added TransformChanges extension (makes Special:Recentchanges all purty)
- Started playing around with the Semantic MediaWiki extension. This lets us tag articles in big categories and then do more powerful searches: you want a list of '06 physics grads? You want a list of courses next semester that meet after noon and are full-QP? You want a list of current students who are EAS majors and photography aficionados? No problem. (Once the content is added and tagged, of course...)
- First software update in almost a year! Oberwiki's now running MediaWiki 1.10 on PHP 5. Ooh fancy. Please point out any weirdness to me and I'll get on fixing it. (It's a big jump from 1.6 to 1.10...)
- Also trying out a new captcha extension produced by some department of Carnegie Mellon U. Here's hoping it stops all the blanking...
- Added News extension, which does what my old hack of the RSS feed extension did except much better (except it can't filter things out based on article title, but oh well).
- Updated ParserFunctions extension.
- Installed ImageMagick to finally fix image thumbnail problems!!!
- Updated GoogleMaps extension.
- Uninstalled Bad Behavior extension to stop it messing with the Special:Recentchanges RSS feed and confusing RSS readers.
- Added modified version of RSS feed extension which is kinda fun and is now on the Main Page.
- Now also using spam blacklist from MySeattle.com
- Got pretty URLs working again (e.g. http://oberwiki.net/Main_Page, no more index.php?title= )
- Removed GMap extension; replaced with Google Maps Extension 0.5.4
- MediaWiki update to 1.6.8 (the 1.7 branch requires PHP 5)
- Re-enabled the SpamBlacklist extension; taking blacklists from Meta and chongqed
- MediaWiki update to 1.6.6 is complete.
- Got a new version of the spam blacklist and added new entries for recent vandalism
- MediaWiki update to 1.5.6 is complete, after a few hours of downtime cause I screwed everything up. New features abound, like the "Show changes" button when you're editing things (compares the current article's text with what you're doing to it) and other stuff I'm sure.
- New version of the GMap extension which happily fixed the map on the Cleveland article.
- New spam filters for the recent vandalism from 188.8.131.52. (I'm looking forward to seeing work start on a new proposal made to the people behind MediaWiki...)
- Enabled range blocking, modified includes/SpecialBlockip.php to increase the range to 5 < CIDR < 31, blocked a bunch of ranges that I'm sure I'll have to refine, and put up a note about it. (This is an attempt to stop a spambot that started vandalizing pages ~8 Oct.)
- Made the secret new skin the default! Mad props to Syn for creating it. There, doesn't the logo look like it fits better now?
- Range blocking isn't doing the trick against that spambot, so it's time for content filtering. $wgSpamBlacklist didn't work (or there's not enough documentation for me to get how to use it right), so I installed the SpamBlacklist extension. Currently using this list as the filter, which catches at least one link that the spambot's been posting.
- Refined range block list to more specific sequences. Currently blocking:
- Messed with .htaccess: mod_rewrite now turns www.oberwiki.net into oberwiki.net
- Edited LocalSettings.php to only spit out the GMaps <script> lines if the current page is one we've got a key for, since Google is currently very whiny about who they give Google Maps API keys to (i.e. they only let you have one per directory, argh) (note: this means any page with a slash in the title won't be able to have a map on it)
- Fixed a few some of the XHTML 1.0 Transitional validation errors that occur when trying to validate a page with a map (still can't find where that <form> without an action="" is being created...)
- Added a favorites icon (I've had one for ages, I thought I added it and Firefox was screwing up displaying it or something...), anyone with madski11z is free to design a better one (and a better logo while you're at it)
- Tried a fork of GMap extension by Meta's Mafs; it could've fixed the zoom-out bug but didn't so I put the old one back after experiencing some weirdness
- New version of GIS extension out of CVS. Still not fixed (in fact, more broken) but I have a better idea of what's up.
- New logo! Thanks to Syn for the design.
- To celebrate the new logo, I messed with MediaWiki:Monobook.css for like three days so we don't look just like Wikipedia. Settled on a color-tweak (maroon, yay) of Fredrik's Ultrawaffle skin. If anyone has suggestions or death threats or anything let me know.
- Updated MediaWiki software to 1.4.7.
- Disabled patrolled edits (we can enable them later if we want)
- Added the GIS (0.5alpha) and Google Map extensions
December: Upgraded MediaWiki software to 1.3.9.